On October 17, people across Canada will hit the streets for Chew on This!, a campaign to raise awareness and call for action on poverty and food insecurity. This annual day of action is led by Dignity for All and marks the International Day for the Eradication of Poverty.
With the development of a Canadian poverty reduction strategy underway, it’s critical that we raise our voices to demand a comprehensive and accountable anti-poverty plan that ensures dignity for all and addresses the multiple dimensions of poverty including food security, health and income security.
We'll be taking part in this year’s Chew on This! campaign by handing out Chew on This! lunch bags and talking with our fellow Torontonians about why we need a strong federal anti-poverty strategy. Will you join us by organizing an action in your local community?
Here’s how to get involved:
1) Get a crew together: Recruit a team to take part in your action, whether it be a small and mighty crew (six or more people is recommended) or a big roaring crowd. It’s a great opportunity to invite community members and volunteers to take action.
2) Plan your action: The suggested action is to set up in a busy public space around lunch time and hand out Chew on This! lunch bags and engage with passersby about food insecurity and the need for a comprehensive national anti-poverty plan. You can stick with the plan or make it your own: e.g. create your own handouts, organize a march, dress up in costumes, etc.
3) Register and prep your materials: Sign up with Dignity for All to let them know you’ll be organizing an action. Once you’ve registered, they’ll send you Chew on This! lunch bags to handout with campaign postcards. It’s recommended that you source apples or other snacks to include in the lunch bags to make them more a-peel-ing.
4) Spread the word: Invite your MP to join you on October 17 and alert your local media. Dignity for All will send you a press kit template that you can adapt.
5) Get social: When you take your team to the streets, be sure to capture the moments and share on social media! Use the #chewonthis hashtag and tag Community Food Centres Canada on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook).
For more details visit the Chew on This! campaign page.